Law Offices of Martin Yeranosyan
A Professional Corporation
Los Angeles Immigration Attorney
R-1 Visa – Religious Workers

R-1 nonimmigrant visas are issued to certain religious workers. R-1 visas are issued to ministers or persons working in professional position in a religious vocation or occupation or persons working for a religious organization in a religious vocation or occupation. Professional occupations are usually occupations which require a minimum of Bachelor's degree. Religious occupation is defined as an occupation incorporating "traditional religious function." Some of the religious occupations include the following: cantors, religious broadcasters, liturgical workers, pastors and pastoral assistants.

R-1 religious workers must have been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the United States for at least two years immediately preceding the application for R-1 status. A bona fide religious denomination has a recognized form of worship, a formal code of disciplines, religious services and religious congregations.

Initial admission as an R-1 is for three (3) years. Then additional two years of extension may be requested. After holding an R-1 status for maximum of five years, the R-1 religious worker need to leave the United States and spend at least one year outside before he is again allowed to come back to the United States and work in R-1 status.

Spouse and children of R-1 religious worker are granted R-2 status. They cannot accept employment in the United States.



We do not represent the Department of Homeland Security or any legal entity. All content on this site is strictly for informational purposes meant to help you make an informed decision regarding you, or your loved ones immigration to the U.S. Be sure to consult our immigration attorney for any legal advice.

Free Consultation

The Los Angeles immigration attorney offers free consultation in order to provide prospective clients with a way to determine if representation by the particular attorney is right for them. The immigration attorney is flexible and generous with regard to client contact methods and hours and often takes calls and answers email even when he is not in the office.

Los Angeles Law Office

100 N. Brand Blvd. Suite 608
Glendale, CA 91203

Phone: (818) 956-8100
Fax: (818) 956-8108

Email a Lawyer

© 2011 Law Offices of Martin Yeranosyan. A Professional Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Los Angeles Immigration Attorney